Skip To Main Content

Immunization Requirements

Immunizations Banner Image

Immunizations are an excellent way to protect yourself and your family against many diseases. Age-appropriate immunizations start at birth and continue through adulthood. Your healthcare provider can help you determine which immunizations are needed.

Immunizations are required by state law for all children at any grade, kindergarten through grade 12, including all public, private, parochial or nonpublic school, as well as vocational, intermediate, special education, home education, cyber and charter schools. Proof of immunization must be shown before they can attend school.

Header Border Line

New Immunization Law effective 2017-2018  - 

The Department of Immunization requires the following immunizations:

For school entry - ALL students grades K-12:

  • 4 DPT (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis): 1 dose administered on or after the 4th birthday
  • 4 Polio: 1 dose administered on or after the 4th birthday &  at least 6 months after the previous dose
  • 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): first dose administered after 12 months of age
  • 3 Hepatitis B:
    • Dose 2 must be a minimum of 28 after the 1st dose
    • Dose 3 must be a minimum of 2 months after the 2nd dose and after age 6 months
  • 2 Varicella: the first dose administered after 12 months of age; or date or age of chickenpox illness

Students entering grades 7 through 11:

  • 1 Tdap/Td
  • 1 MCV (meningococcal): first dose given 11-15 years of age

Students entering grade 12:

  • 2 MCV (meningococcal) If last dose was given at 16 years of age or older only one dose is required.

Immunizations must be completed by the start of school

Header Border Line

Immunization Exemptions

By law, only licensed medical doctors, doctors of osteopathy or their designees can sign for medical exemptions. A medical exemption for a specific antigen(s) should be documented in the statement of exemption state card.  All other immunizations are still required.

Statements of religious or strong moral or ethical conviction opposing immunizations must be submitted in writing and signed by the parent, guardian or emancipated child. A space on the State’s Certificate of Immunization if provided for this purpose. This exemption does not need to be renewed yearly.